Southover STEM week is taking place after the holiday. We have so many exciting events planned to inspire your child into the world of science, technology, maths and engineering.
Some highlights from the week include:
- an exciting science show, which uses an array of wonderful and captivating science tricks and experiments
- a visit from some Robot Wars robots
- engaging science workshops
- the opportunity to enter a design for an ingenious idea that will be entered into a competition to get made into a real-life object - check book bags for the entry form.
- talks and workshops from a variety of scientists, mathematicians and engineers
- lots of hand-on experiments in class
….all ending with a Pocket Science Festival and an exhibition of all our amazing learning on the Friday.
It’s going to be a highly memorable, awe-inspiring week!
SHARING IDEAS AND LINKS FOR STEM THEMED FUN
Do you have any other links or ideas that you’d like to share? If so, send an email to southoverSTEM@gmail.com - we’d love to hear them. Here is our current list of tried and tested suggestions from parents at Southover. They are intended to be suitable for most age groups. We will also post this list and any new suggestions on the School website.
Online Sources of activities to do at home
We also have a great list of STEM themed fiction – too long for here so we will post on the School website.
Times table songs but to modern classics such as Katy Perry’s Firework.
Numberphile – short videos about maths – try this one about very big numbers and how to win at Connect 4.
ViHart - Doodle Maths – combining maths and art, there are lots to choose from but try this one on stars.
www.BestRobotEver.com - From exciting adventures and addictive mysteries, to hilarious game shows and popular science programming.
www.brainson.org - Lots of STEM themed episodes – try a debate one like Deep Sea v Outer Space